Education Project Sundarban (Boarding Project)
Title of the Project: Boarding facilities, Educational, Health and Nutritional Assistance for 50 Disadvantage and Minor Children of Sundarban, South 24 Parganas.
The boarding program has been carried out as St. Savio Boy’s Hostel, Panchamkhanda village, Nagendrapur Gram Panchayet of Mathurapur Block under District of South 24 Parganas since 2014. This Intervention covers disadvantaged children belongs to extremely poor families from nearby villages, namely, Nagendrapur, Baradanagar, Chuprijara, Nalgora, Kashinagar, Jota, Sonatikari and Kankandighi.
The Education Sundarban project provides boarding facilities to 38 school children who studies from class V to X. The aim of the program is to reduce of School drop-outs and continue to complete at least higher secondary education. The program also assists medical and health support; in terms of regular medical check-ups camps along with awareness generation on health education and hygiene promotion.
- To intervene for the prevention and the reduction of drop-outs as well as for the promotion and completion of the primary and secondary school course of 50 disadvantaged minors between the ages of 5 – 10 years in the Sundarban area.
- To improve health status of 50 disadvantaged children aged between 5 – 10 in Mathurapur II block of Sundarban, West Bengal by nutritional food, health check-ups, health camps, and hygiene education.
- 38 minor children from the different part of Sundarban are getting benefits from this programme. Every day the study time begins from 06:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. in morning & 5:00 p.m. to 06:30 p.m. in the evening. Extra Class for Annual Examination -6:30 p.m. – 08:00 p.m.
- All the students have gradually improving their educational status; as evidence that they have obtained good marks in each unit test.
- Good rapport and collaboration have been buildup among the teachers and guardian as result of regular linkage meetings.
- All the students have passed annual examination and promoted to next classes
- Weight and growth of the children have been improved as the student receiving sufficient nutritional food in time with proper manner.
- Regular health checkups and proper follow up of hygiene at St. Savio Boys’ Hostel makes health atmosphere for study.
- Practice of personnel Hygiene has been improved among the children. They are maintaining proper cleanliness during shower and washing hand before and after meal, after use of toilet.